Southwark Schools Expansion
Client name:Southwark Council
We were appointed by Southwark Council to provide cost consultancy services for 11 school expansion projects in the borough. The schools were divided into 2 packages A & B. The programme was procured using JCT D&B 2 stage (iESE framework). Schools include:
- Cherry Garden Primary School £13m new build school
- Albion Road Primary School £10m new build school
- Ivydale Primary School £10m new build school
- Keyworth Primary school £9m refurbishment and new build extension
- Crawford Primary School £5m refurbishment and new build extension
- Redriff Primary School £5m new build extension
- Phoenix School £9m refurbishment of existing Edwardian unoccupied school
- Grange Primary School £4m new build dining hall, nursery and refurbishment
- Charles Dickens Primary School £4m refurbishment and new build extension
- Bellenden school £8.3m, 2173m2 new build school
- Robert Browning Primary School £3.5m part demolition, new build and refurbishment.
The school expansion programme has been divided into 2 packages with 2 different architects, but the same Project Manager and Cost consultancy team (Keegans) across the entire package. This has resulted in intense, detailed design and consultation programmes which were reflected in the design achieving both the Client and the end-users brief. Together with maximising efficiencies and economies of scale in terms of design and cost by using the same principles and design features across all 12 schools, 2 Contractors were appointed via iESE, 1 for each package of 6 schools, and a design period post appointment was built into the programme. This allowed for a detailed review of the design with the Client and Contractor team and also ensured the Contractor worked with their delivery partners and supply chain in order to achieve maximum cost and time efficiencies.