Ellingham Primary School, Kingston
Client name:Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames
Keegans were commissioned by the Royal Borough of Kingston to provide multi-disciplinary services to Ellingham Primary School. The proposed works included:
• The demolition of an existing single storey building
• The erection of a new two storey building
• Construction of a new entrance with drop off and pick area
• Landscaping works to provide efficient use of external space
Ellingham Primary school is sandwiched between two other schools; St. Philips School and Chessington Community College, which has recently undergone extensive rebuilding and expansion. The site is linear in shape with three houses between the eastern boundary and the railway line.
The site is 0.71 hectares in size, and contains the original 1950’s school building, with various extensions over the years and a Caretaker’s house built in 1974. A single storey extension with nursery and reception was constructed in 1998.
Keegans were commissioned to replace the existing facility in order to fully comply with BB99 (Building Bulletin: Briefing Framework for Primary School Projects) and DDA requirements. While upgrading the school to meet current teaching standards, this new facility expanded the school to become a 2-form entry school.
Construction of the new building was located and phased to minimise disruption to the school teaching session.
Our proposals consisted of a number of design options, created in consultation with the school stakeholders including teachers and staff as well as the local community, students and parents, and in co-ordinated with the adjacent SEN school and the neighbouring community college. These options opened the natural spaces between the schools, while providing a natural divide and keeping them distinct and secure.