Keegans announces completion of green school project in Royal Borough of Kingston
Project Managers, Keegans working in conjunction with Architects, ECD Architects and Contractors, Thomas Sinden have completed a low energy school project in the Royal Borough of Kingston.
The 970m2 new-build project at Castle Hill Primary School, Chessington which facilitates the amalgamation of an infant & junior school onto a single site is now complete and was officially opened by Patrick Leeson – Director – Development, Education and Care, Ofsted on 16 June 2011.
The accommodation consists of eight Key Stage 2 classrooms in a curved block, separate dining hall & kitchen block, refurbished library & IT rooms, SEN and specialist language facilities, and ancillary & support accommodation.
The project has been designed as an exemplary low-energy project to meet the brief criteria of 60% reduction in CO2 emissions and BREEAM ‘Very Good’.
Key features include:
- classroom block orientated to minimise solar gain (a physical model was analysed at the UCL Bartlett heliodon) and maximise views over mature landscaping
- 180m2 photo-voltaic array mounted on the existing school roof
- excellent U-values – typically 0.15W/m2K for floors, walls & roofs
- natural ventilation & night purging via roof-mounted windcatchers
- solar control glazing to south & west elevations augmented with brise-soleil, low-e glazing to east & north elevations.
- smart controls to all lighting
- exposed thermal mass to regulate & minimise overheating
ECD have recently been awarded grant funding to carry out a two year Building Performance Evaluation Study to assess how the building performs, and how it can be fine-tuned to optimise it’s performance
The project was funded under the Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames Primary Capital Programme.
Listed in Building Magazine’s Top Employers Guide for 6 years.
Keegans strive to be a friendly, vibrant company to work for and are proud to have achieved Investors In People status.
It’s good to talk...
9:00 AM – 5:30 PM (Monday - Friday)
+44 (0) 20 7199 0900
+44 (0) 141 204 7855